This year we have reached a new milestone... My first baby is starting highschool! What? How did this happen? Check out our 9th grade homeschool curriculum picks below.
There was a lot of hesitation when I had to choose Kenten's 9th grade homeschool curriculum this year. I'm not going to lie... Beginning this highschool journey is terrifying! I have not felt this nervous about homeschooling since our first year. Hopefully just like our first year those jitters will disappear quickly as we fall into our routine. I went back and forth between purchasing Timberdoodle, Build Your Library, or Bookshark for Kenten.
Ultimately I decided on Bookshark Level 100: American History & Literature. Since I will be using Bookshark with my other children, I thought it would be easier to have some consistency. The downside is that Level 100 is NOT an "all subject package" like many of Bookshark's other levels. Additionally, Level 100 is the highest level currently available, so if we decide to continue with Bookshark for our 2018-2019 school year I may need to find something new for Kenten. I contacted Bookshark and they told me that they do plan to release more highschool levels, but there is not a set schedule yet. Hopefully by this time next year the new levels will be available.
What does Bookshark Level 100 include?
Below you will find everything included in the Level 100 American History & Literature package. I will note any customization selections I made.
- Before Columbus
- The Boy's War
- Freedom Walkers
- The Great Little Madison
- Shh! We're Writing the Constitution
- World War II
- Dragon's Gate
- Farewell to Manzanar
- What Is the Panama Canal?
- A History of US (Hmm... This was not on the "what's included" list provided on Bookshark's website, but it does come with your bundle. If you already own A History of US you can opt out of purchasing it.)
- History 120 Instructor's Guide
Literature & Language Arts
- Elijah of Buxton
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- Rules of the Rod
- Children of the Longhouse
- Amos Fortune, Free Man
- A Long Way From Chicago
- When You Reach Me
- Bound for Oregon
- The Call of the Wild
- The View from Saturday
- Dear Mr. Henshaw
- Indian Captive
- Out of the Dust
- Rip Van Winkle
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- A Treasury of Poetry for Young People
- A Year Down Yonder
- American Historical Literature & Language Arts 130 Instructor's Guide
- American Historical Literature & Language Arts 130 Student Guide
- Wordly Wise 9 (This is a supplement-I opted to add this to our bundle. We used Wordly Wise a few years ago, and it was a wonderful addition to our homeschool.)
- Analogies 2 (This is a supplement- I opted to add this to our bundle. You can add-on Wordly Wise and Analogies 2 for a very reasonable price, so I decided to try this out!)
Please note that if you already own the "Required Resources", you can remove this package from your bundle. Since this is our first year using Bookshark we purchased these items.
- D-Ring 3-inch Binder with Tabs
- Markable Map
- Markable Map Markers
- The Timeline Book
What other materials will we use to complete our 9th grade homeschool curriculum?
As I mentioned earlier Level 100 is not an "all subject package", so we will be adding on a number of materials. I will separate these extra materials by subject.
Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Teaching Textbooks Algebra I (Kenten started this program after Christmas last year. He has been working through Algebra I all summer, and will need to complete this level before moving onto Geometry.)
- Teaching Textbooks Geometry
- Friendly Biology (Secular Edition)
- Friendly Biology Lesson Tests and Answer Keys
- Friendly Biology Student Workbook
- Editor in Chief Level 3
- Fix It! Grammar: The Nose Tree Teacher's Manual
- Fix It! Grammar: The Nose Tree Student Book
Note: This is our first year using Fix It! Grammar. It is recommended to start with the first level, so that is why Kenten will be using this lower level.
- Rosetta Stone: German
Note: I purchased levels 1-5 years ago. We have used this program off and on, but this year I am determined to be more consistent!
Kenten will be trying out Duinokit Jr. this year. All of my children are excited to check out this product!
Yes, Kenten will be enrolled in the following class:
- Martial Arts Level 2
- Martial Arts: Highschool
This year the partnership is offering classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Kenten really enjoyed the Martial Arts class he was in last year, and decided to take two different courses this year. Thankfully we live just around the corner from the partnership, so Kenten will be able to walk up to the building on Tuesdays while I stay home with Jack and Julia.
Some of you are probably wondering why I have purchased so many language arts materials... Kenten only has one class on Thursdays at the partnership, he most likely will stay home for part of the day. He will be expected to complete extra language arts and math assignments during this time. Occasionally he will spend more time at the partnership as an assistant in the Robotics class offered at the partnership. What 9th grade homeschool curriculum package would be complete without volunteer hours? Shhhh! Kenten doesn't know I signed him up for this yet. He will be an amazing assistant though. Out of all my children, Kenten is definitely the best with younger children.
Thank you for checking out our 9th grade homeschool curriculum picks! Want to see our 2017-2018 plan & fun books, our 5th grade curriculum, or 7th grade curriculum? Check out the following posts: