In our home we take a literature based approach for a large portion of our language arts program.
As an avid reader it is very important to me to share my passion for reading with my children, and I feel by continuing to read outloud I have been able to do that. Sometimes I simply read a book to my children, but many times I plan literature units to go with the book.
In the upcoming school year I have the opportunity to teach at our local homeschool partnership. I will be teaching “Learning Through Cinema- Elementary” and “Learning Through Cinema- Middle School”. I am so excited to be able to share our approach with the homeschool community. Below I have listed the units we will be covering during the 2017-2018 school year.
Learning Through Cinema- Elementary
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- The BFG by Roald Dahl
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater
- The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White
- Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. Seuss
- The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Learning Through Cinema- Middle School
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- Wonder by Raquel J. Palacio
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
- The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
- Holes by Louis Sachar