Welcome to Homework and Horseplay. Today I am sharing my Bloco Birds of Prey Review. We received this product from Timberdoodle a few days ago, and Jack could barely wait for Julia to get back from Detroit so they could get to work! Poor guy spent a lot of time just checking out the box.
What does the Bloco Birds of Prey Construction Set include, and how do you build it?
Inside the box you will find:
- Picture instructions
- Plastic connectors
- Foam sheets of puzzle pieces
Before you start building you will need to remove all the puzzle pieces from the foam sheets. This will take a little bit of time unless you make it a group effort like we did.
Some of the puzzle pieces have smaller sections that need to be popped out. We found using the tip of a pencil made this a lot easier to accomplish. Once all the puzzle pieces are removed, you simply follow the step-by-step picture instructions provided.
What is the recommended ages for this product?
The Bloco Birds of Prey Construction Set is part of Timberdoodle’s 3rd Grade Curriculum Kit, and recommended for children ages 6-12 years. My children are 10 and 12, and I feel like this was a perfect age. Even with the picture instructions, children on the younger side may have a hard time completing this project on their own. A few times my son struggled getting the connector pieces in their proper places.
What are the pros and cons?
- You can change the bird’s wing position. My children especially liked the bald eagle with his wings extended out as if he were in flight.
- You can build three birds at once. A lot of constructions kits need to be completely taken apart to build the other projects, so this was a pleasant surprise.
- The picture instructions were easy to follow. Without pictures, I think this would have been a hard project to complete.
- All 6 birds cannot be built and on display at the same time. A few of the birds share the same body, and you simply change out the head. My children would like to have all of the designs on display in our school room.
- The eagle is a little heavy, which causes it to split in half. It is easy to fix this, but my children were a little frustrated when they tried to do a stop motion project with the birds.
Homework and Horseplay’s Final Thoughts…
My children absolutely loved the Bloco Birds of Prey Construction Set. As soon as we were done building they asked me to research if there were other sets available. I highly recommended this product, and will be purchasing other Bloco constructions kits for Christmas gifts this year.