The 2017-2018 school year is quickly sneaking up on us. Are you ready?
I don't know about all of you, but I really struggled with making decisions this year (at least for Jack)! I just submitted our list of 5th grade homeschool curriculum to be purchased yesterday. After much debate I decided to try out Bookshark's Level 3 All Subject Package. I love that Bookshark uses an age range for their levels and has a customization feature. Bookshark Level 3 is for children ages 8-11. Jack is 10, so I think this level is perfect fit for his core 5th grade homeschool curriculum.
What does Bookshark's Level 3 include? How did I customize it?
Below you will find everything included in the Level 3 All Subject Package. I will note any customization selections I made.
Reading with History
- The Sign of the Beaver
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond
- Johnny Tremain
- Toliver's Secret
- Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
- Walk the World's Rim
- Justin Morgan Had a Horse
- Swift Rivers
- Child's Introduction to Poetry
- Secret of the Sealed Room
- Winter Danger
- History 3 Instructor's Guide
- If You Were There When They Signed the Constitution
- Pedro's Journal
- The Landmark History of the American People, Volume 1
- North American Indians
- The Lewis & Clark Expedition
- Children's Encyclopedia of American History
- Beginner's American History
- Timeline Figures- 3
Level 3 Regular Readers
- Pocahontas and the Strangers
- The Matchlock Gun
- Meet Thomas Jefferson
- Phoebe the Spy
- Meet George Washington
- Robert Fulton, Boy Craftsman
- Sarah, Plain and Tall
- The Courage of Sarah Noble
- The Cabin Faced West
- Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims
- The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
- A Lion to Guard Us
- Language Arts 3 Instructor's Guide
- Wordly Wise Book 3 (This is a supplement-I have used Wordly Wise with Kenten and Julia in the past and it was a great addition. I am hoping it will be a good fit for Jack this year.)
- Real Science 4 Kids: Biology, Level 1
- The Usborne First Encyclopedia of Seas and Oceans
- Usborne Science Encycloedia
- The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body
- Mysteries and Marvels of Nature
- Discover & Do Level 3 DVD
- TOPS 38-Green Thumbs: Radishes
- TOPS 39- Green Thumbs: Corn & Beans
- Listening to Crickets
- Science 3 Instructor's Guide
- Science Supplies Kit 3
- Lyrical Life Science-Volumes 1 & 2 (This is a supplement-I have never heard of Lyrical Life Science before, but it looks like a fun add-on.)
- Teaching Textbooks 4 (Customization-I opted to switch from Math U See: Gamma to TT4. Kenten and Julia made the switch from Singapore Math to Teaching Textbooks last year after Christmas. It has been a wonderful fit for them, and I am hoping that it works out for Jack too.)
- Handwriting Without Tears: Cursive Handwriting
- All About Spelling Level 2 (Customization- I opted to drop the recommended Spelling You See: Wild Tales. A few years ago I purchased All About Spelling Level 1 for Jack, but he was not able to complete it until this past school year. Since he is comfortable with this program we will use it all the way through.)
Please note that if you already own the "Required Resources", you can remove this package from your bundle. Since this is our first year using Bookshark we purchased these items.
- D-Ring 3-inch Binder with Tabs
- Markable Map
- Markable Map Markers
- The Timeline Book
Will we be using anything other than Bookshark for our 5th grade homeschool curriculum?
Yes, we will adding on these STEM materials.
Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We will also continue using the reading program ABeCeDarian. Jack completed Level A last year and then moved onto Level B. We have been working through Level B all summer. I don't know if it is the program itself or if Jack was just finally ready to read, but this is the first program that has worked for us! You can learn more about ABeCeDarian here. Although you can purchase the materials directly from the company I usually purchase mine from Amazon. Here are the books that we are currently working through:
- B-1 Teacher Manual
- B-1 Student Workbook
- B-2 Teacher Manual
- B-2 Student Workbook
- B-1 Teacher Manual Spelling Book
- B-1 Student Workbook Spelling
I hestitated to share what levels we will be using for spelling and reading this year. I know that typical 5th grade homeschool curriculum lists normally use much higher levels, but I guess that is one of the perks of homeschooling... We get to use materials that are customized for our children. I am proud of the progress my little man is making!
Last year we joined a homeschool partnership. Jack CANNOT wait until the partnership starts back up. The partnership is one of the reasons I decided to go with Bookshark. Bookshark follows a 4-day schedule, so I will not have to rearrange our curriculum to attend Thursday's classes. This year Jack is enrolled in:
- Elementary Computers
- Learning Through Cinema: Elementary
- Martial Arts & P.E.
Phew... That is quite the list! No wonder it took me so long to sort everything out. Thank you for checking out our 5th grade homeschool curriculum plans. Do you want to see our overall 2017-2018 plan & fun books, 7th Grade curriculum picks, or 9th Grade curriculum picks? Click one of the images below.